Sunday, July 22, 2007

Lessons of a Navy Seal


Freedom has a unique taste for those that have fought for it. Liberty has a special ring for those that have faced death in the eyes of an enemy and somehow managed to survive. Dedication is rarely understood by those that are dedicated, and perseverance is rarely comprehended by those that have persevered.

I have been to Hell, and I returned to tell the story about it.

I was born with a silver spoon shoved up my ass, so to speak, but I quickly learned that with money comes great headaches. You wonder who your friends are. You wonder why people hang out with you. Is it because they find you a fascinating person? Or is it because they think your wealth may rub off on them.

I volunteered for the U.S. Navy with the intention of leaving my wealthy family, and the responsibilities that came with them, behind.

I've always loved a challenge, so after serving a term or so I decided to apply for Seal Training. And I was accepted.

What followed was the most grueling period of my life, and the most rewarding. I emerged a U.S. Navy Seal who undertook missions that would make James Bond wince. It hardened me, make me think I was the shit. I parachuted behind enemy lines, conducted my business, and then made my way through the roughest terrain to safety - often nearly reaching the end of my life along the way.

And when everything was at its best, and life was grandest, my past caught up to me. Father was dying, and I was needed to take care of the business - only son, you know.

The biggest voice that helped me through the roughest times, however, did not come from a fellow Seal, or any of my Marine Corps buddies. It came from an enlisted kid who was much smaller than me, and nothing more than a wanna-be as far as I was concerned. But inside, Doug was larger than me. He understood how the wheels of life turn. And he had stories that even made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

In the end, he made me realize all those years ago, that it is not about how ripped your body gets, or how big your checkbook is. I had both, and I was defeated.

In the end it is about what you do with what you have, and how you leave your mark on this world. As Doug drives down the Interstate as I type this, driving a Tractor/Trailer down a lonely highway through the desert, I salute him. I had everything and nearly squandered it. He had nothing, and made himself more.

He epitomizes dedication and perseverance, and our liberty remains because of men like him. Be safe on the road, my friend. Be safe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What class were you in?

Sky Dive Rick said...

Sorry, that information is classified and you don't have the need to know.